Monday, January 21, 2013

Are those really bugs?


I decided to go for fixing the bug #1577 (Sort groups alphabetically). To make this feature accessible to the user there has to be additional menu item. I tracked down to the creation point of menu bar. It is used a function from Gtk API to create the menu bar. This function parses a string containing UI definition. I tried to add the definition of new menu item for sorting the "buddy groups" but it does not appear in the menu. To be sure that I am modifying the code on appropriate place I added to menu definition just a simple separator - it worked and it was displayed in the new modified menu. So I must be doing something wrong with the definition of menu item for sorting groups. I think that the problem is caused by the way I define the action handler for this new menu item.

EDIT: I could not go sleep knowing that I have not succeded with menu item creation. I searched the source code a little bit deeper and I found the cause of the problem. The new menu item was not shown, because it did not contain any submenu items. Menu structure now looks like this:

Buddies
|_ ...
  _ Show
     |_Offline Buddies
       _Empty Groups
       _ ...

  _ Sort Buddies
     |_Alphabetically
       _Manually
       _ ...

  _ Sort Groups (new menu item)
     |_Alphabetically

But wait a minute! Is #1577 (Sort groups alphabetically) really a bug? Well it was it bug trackind database but it is more a new feature request that a bug. So let`s choose something else...

Now, I am going after third bug report, it is bug #13501.

First, I have to download source of the version in which the bug was reported. The version in repository is 3.0.0dev, which is not in release state. I will try to build the latest release - 2.10.6 version and reproduce the bug.

Bug #13501 is already fixed in the latest release version, or at least I cannot reproduce it(it was reported in 2.7.11 which was released on 2011-03-11).

I have investigated a bunch of reported bugs from latest version 2.10.6, but i was not able to reproduce any of them. I asked a reporter of bug #15263 to provide more details about how to reproduce the bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment