Monday, January 21, 2013

"Bug Hunter" Kickoff


This is the first article in the "Bug Hunter" competition series. The main idea of the competition is to choose some opensource project, get the bug list and try to fix as many bugs as possible. However, I have never done something similar nor I have worked in a project with more than 5 developers so this is a real chalennge for me. If everything goes well I hope to fix at least a single bug and post a patch to developers comunity.

For now, I am just looking around the OS field and I am trying to choose some appropriate project. I have made these criteria for selecting the project (listed by decreasing priority):
1. It should be written in a language that I am familiar with
2. The web pages of project are well arranged and has a lot of useful info for noobs
3. I should have some user experience with project


Pidgin project came out as a winner. It is written in a C, webpages are really easy to use and I have also used this program for some time.

Pidgin is a graphical IM program that lets you sign on to AIM, Jabber, MSN, Yahoo!, and other IM networks. It runs on Microsoft Windows and Unixes. It is written in C and uses GLib and GTK+.

No comments:

Post a Comment